About the Owner
I am a self-advocate and a Businesswoman, with a lively sense of humor and a cheerful disposition. I am hard working, with a deep desire to share my gifts and talents. Along the way, I have had to overcome many challenges. My passion is to advocate for those who do not have a voice. I have spoken at events ranging from Special Olympics to Regional and National Conferences and have shared my story with legislators at the Georgia Capitol.
My goal is to help people ‘Save Their Memories’ through my micro business SCANwithNAN
- Sole proprietor of SCANwithNAN, a micro business, where I scan and digitize vintage photos and documents to save memories.
- I am part of the GIG economy and take on part time, temporary jobs.
- I work part time as a Co-Trainer with the GA Living Well Project, UGA-IHDD. In this role I talk to groups of Direct Support Professionals about the importance of assisting their clients to be ‘Self Determined’ and to support them with ‘Informed Decision Making’ in their day to day lives.
- I carried out research, as a part of a PAR (Participatory Action Research) team with Disability Connections to gather data on disparities in the financial arena, for those with disabilities.
- Graduate- My Voice. My Participation. My Board Trained in Awareness & Self Advocacy, Purpose and Components of Boards of Directors and Translating Knowledge into Practice.
- Graduate - Partners in Policy Making Practical training on how to become active partners with those who make policy. Learnt about disability law and related issues.
- Graduate - Peer Mentor Program
- Graduate -Participant Athlete/Coach training and Global Messenger Training Conducted by Special Olympics GA.
- Graduate- Georgia Academy for the Blind Macon, GA. Awarded a Special Education Diploma
ADVOCACY INITIATIVES & EXPERIENCE
- I was a featured speaker at the first annual Talk to Lead Luncheon at the Coca-Cola Company in Atlanta, as part of the Synergies team. Goal- to educate participants on redefining the word ‘disability’ to eliminate unnecessary bias and preconceived notions of dependence.
- I am a Self -Advocate Board member with the GA Council on Developmental Disabilities.
- I am a self-advocate member with the SANGHA Unity Network, working with them to grow the self-advocacy movement in Georgia.
- I serve on the GA Participant Direct Advisory group and the DBHDD Advisory council, to advise the Department on matters relating to the care, services and supports offered to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities served by the Department
- I am a member of the GSU-CLD-Community Advisory Council. *Rotating off in a year.
- I have promoted awareness of community member’s gifts and talents through the Roving Listener Project in Macon.
- I have served as a Self-Advocate Board member of the ARC of Macon.\
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Athlete of the Month award by Special Olympics Georgia.
- Family of the Year award by Special Olympics Georgia.
- Act of Courage Award by The Tubman Museum Macon, GA.
- Buddy of the Year award by The Down syndrome Association of Atlanta, GA
ATHLETIC AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Special Olympics participant in bowling, ice skating, unified sailing, Bocce, equestrian sports, track and field, golf and softball. Gold and silver medalist in various Special Olympics GA and regional competition.
- I volunteer regularly at the Mulberry UMC/Macon Outreach, where I serve up a bright smile with the buns and hotdogs.
- Member Gifted Harmony Chorus, Macon GA.
- Member High Hopes Club Macon GA.